ABOUT MONEY

For people who want to sit back and say "oh Jody is trying to make money" - please please explain that to me.

First of all, I do not have any basket passed at our meetings.  Why?  Because if any person at that meeting is engaged in illegal prostitution and we accept money from them then we're guilty of a felony crime of "pimping".  Now can I sit there and ask every meeting leader to demand a financial accounting from the members?  No because to do so would be incriminating them.  So we do not pass any basket at meetings UNLIKE every other 12 step program I'm aware of who does.  AA passes the basket.  NA passes the basket.  Sexaholics Anonymous passes the basket.  Gamblers Anonymous passes the basket.  We do not.  So we have no basket donation income ever period anywhere.

Second, we have a copy of our first edition "Recovery Guide" on LuLu for $4.95.  Out of that, we net about $3.50.  In the TOTAL time that book has been listed on LuLu - we have sold a grand whopping total of $300.  That amount of money is from the date I uploaded the book until today.  Yep.  A huge amount of $300 in sales.

Why so low?  Because either people want the second edition current version of our "Recovery Guide" as our first was written in 1992, or they have no money at all to order any literature.  If they don't have any money, I have the first edition in .pdf format which can be downloaded or emailed to them for free.  I send out copies of the book free almost daily to those who request it but can't afford it.

Our red covered first edition books many of our original early members have copies of was a batch paid to be printed for us by my mother who forked out $5,000 of her own money to create our first "Recovery Guide" in 1992 when the book was first done.  Out of that $5,000, I told her I'd sell these books and pay her back.   We originally sold the book for $5.00.  For every one copy I'd sell I was asked to donate about 20 free ones.  I managed to sell 1,000 out of the 5000 copies - and paid my mother back the $5000 before she died.  Those books are now gone.  I have two copies left in my house - one for me and one for my daughter.

Our 2nd edition we print up as needed at the FedEx store - that's why it's so expensive.   I get an order for the book and then go there to print the book up.  I have them xerox the pages, bind it, and then we ship those out when we get orders.  There is a $1.00 profit margin that I keep for taking the disc down to the store, having them print the book, and then stuffing it into the envelope to ship the final order out.  That $1.00 doesn't even cover my gasoline when I usually am printing maybe 3 copies at a time when I go.  Why?  How many people are going to pay $25 for a book when they can get a free .pdf  version?  Most people get a free 1st edition emailed to them and honestly they spend so much time working with that one - most don't get around to ordering the 2nd edition.

We do not apply for grants, and we've never held a fund raiser.  I don't charge for consultations.  I don't charge for my time.  I answer our hotline 24/7 for free and without a salary.  There's no money to take a salary anyway.   We don't charge members any fees or dues.  I don't charge for my time when I talk to callers on the hotline who want advice or support or anything.  I don't charge for my time when I meet members for coffee, or drive them to the doctor.   I don't charge for the time I spend teaching stepwork to our members, or consulting with meeting leaders on how to get their meetings off the ground, or keep them going or under control.   I don't charge for our blog, our newsletter, or creating our social media.   I don't charge for the training I do for our outreach people, answering our hotline, etc.  I don't charge for training our members who take meetings into jails, shelters or treatment centers.   I don't charge our members for any of my time or services.

I don't charge for lectures I do.  I don't charge for being an expert witness on trials - although I have had my travel expenses paid.  I don't charge for the time I spend traveling to appear on talk shows which I haven't done since 1994.  I don't charge for talking to reporters.   I don't charge for my time helping parents figure out how to get their kids back.  I don't charge for the time I spend sending out missing posters to our members in certain cities asking if they've seen this kid (which has worked by the way many times).  I don't charge for consulting with mothers on how to find their missing daughters - which one time became the movie "Fighting for my Daughter" starring Lindsey Wagner as the mom because of how she followed my advice and got her daughter back from a pimp who had murdered three other women.  I didn't get paid for the six weeks I spent working with the writer on that movie.  I don't charge for the time I spend talking to legislators about new laws.  I don't charge for the time I spend talking with producers or reporters.  I honestly can't think of anything I charge for with respect to the work I do in connection with Sex Workers Anonymous.  I receive no money personally from our radio show at www.leavingtheliferadio.com.  I don't have any salary for putting those interviews together and do it to help our outreach to new members.

I have never received a dime from producers about my life story except what I've talked about when I was young, naive and stupid.  After my arrest I took a $1,000 in option money to do my life story.  They had me sign a confidentiality agreement and told me I had to get their permission to speak to the press.  At the end of the first year, when no movie had been made, they gave me another $1,000.  Suspecting a rat, I looked into it and learned they had been paying me to make sure I didn't speak out then what I knew about John Wayne.  Republic Pictures had paid me the money telling me they were going to "produce a film about my life".  I didn't know at the time they didn't produce original films, and owned the rights to John Wayne movies, among a few others.  To make  sure I didn't speak out about John Wayne, his family, etc., nor anyone else who was represented by Republic - this was their way of shutting me up.   Which is why you see no TV shows, nor interviews from me from 1984 until 1987 - I had signed these contracts with Republic.  So I made yes $2,000 for my life story and silence in 1984 to 1987.  When I realized  I was being muzzled, I refused $5,000 the third year for an option. The ironic thing was I wouldn't have said a word about John Wayne had we made a film then.  I only wanted to get the story out about my life.  I have never revealed a client name except with their consent ever.  Never have and never will.

I took $1,000 option in 1987 from Cosgrove Muerer productions to do a film about the founding of "Prostitutes Anonymous".  I then returned the money and canceled the deal when the producer told me he went and paid to have sex with a prostitute in order to "understand the subject matter".   I told him this was to me the same as asking me to do a movie on the Holocaust and going out to gas a Jewish person in order to "understand the subject matter".  I was so upset at him for this that yes I returned the money and broke the contract.

I do not sell our book on Amazon for one main reason - because then they would have a potential list of some of our members.  They might not know who is and who isn't - but they would know at least who is interested in us.  Since it's well known that a list of anyone who buys or reads "Catcher in the Rye" is turned over to the FBI as a potential terrorist - then it's not far fetched to think buyers of our book might wind up on some list somewhere.   I am yes losing a lot of potential money by doing this - but I am protecting our members' anonymity, and their location, in making this decision.  http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread674552/pg2  Do you really think with prostitution illegal in most of this country that our government would not want a list of people who buy a book on leaving prostitution?  By staying off Amazon, I keep that list private.  Especially by giving away the book free.

I have turned down offers to have publishers publish our book because of the lawsuit with AA and Hazelton where they tried to alter the book against Bill Wilson's wishes, as well as AA's.   If I sign a contract with a publisher, I lose all right to have total control over the content.   Therefore, we self-publish so our words, and stories, can not be altered against our wishes.   The same as with what happened to Narcotics Anonymous when Chuck Skinner admitted to having altered parts of the Basic Text without the fellowship's approval in his attempt to seek power over the finances of NA.

Paige paid me $400 for the literature I gave her in 1991 a few weeks ago to start up the first meetings of our 12 step program in Vancouver that she never paid me for back then because she was taking care of something like 10 women sleeping in her studio apartment who were afraid to go prostitute on the streets with a maniac running around, and to take care of the teen who was the subject of the Lindsey Wagner movie produced by ABC.   That was also supposed to cover the literature I gave her to get books to her new members, and to help her set up SPACE - which was the first drop-in crisis center in Canada for prostitutes seeking a way out.  PACE took it over somewhere around 1996 I think when her father died.  I was supposed to receive a salaried job from that center opening but that never materialized.

Melissa Farley paid me $350 for the writing I contributed to "Trafficking in Nevada - Making the Connections", as well as my help in preparing the report she sold to Shared Hope who repackaged the report minus our name and then distributed in March of 2008 claiming it had been published in August of 2007, even though Melissa and I released the report in September of 2007.  I guess they wanted to make it appear they released it first.  But because I sold my writing to Melissa - I have no ownership to contest.

We haven't sold any jewelry, t-shirts, medallions, hats, coffee mugs, etc. to date.  Not a one.  I haven't even sold any keytags for members to give out at meetings - they use their own or the ones from NA or AA to give out at meetings.   Nor have I sold any licensing rights to anyone to do so either.

Okay, free literature, no grants, no fund raisers, no fees or dues, no money in the basket - can someone please tell me where I'm getting money from in order to be "doing what I'm doing for money"?

Because if I am "doing this for the money" I certainly am doing something wrong here.  Polaris however received an $11 million dollar grant from what I read by Google last year sometime.  I don't know how much money Truckers Against Trafficking has received.  Lois Lee told me last year that Children of the Night have $12 million dollars in the bank.  But with her staff salary monthly being $40,000 I know that will just cover her overhead.   Dennis Hof I know once sold off a young girls' (18) virginity for $1,000,000 of which he gets 1/2 usually.

Shared Hope supposedly got $1.2 million coming into Nevada to lecture about Nevada sex trafficking for about a month while security was telling me I was banned from even listening to this lecture, and then they left town again after the lecture tour.   Which how they accomplished when they "don't provide direct services domestically" as they told me when I called them that year in 2007 as when they were lecturing - I have no idea.  I know Terri Miller told me she paid them $9000 to come speak to her in 2007 about sex trafficking.  I know I spent hours talking to Terri about Nevada cases for which I never got a dime, but Shared Hope got $9,000 for flying in for a coffee meeting with Terri.

From the day I saw Awaken Reno open, until last year, I only saw them doing fund raisers.  I was told Pastor Perez from Annie Lombert's Destiny House Project supposedly pocketed $1,000,000 before he filed bankruptcy.   The house was supposedly donated, as was the furniture, and everything in the house.  I don't know how much money she got for signing with Bravo to get the one show produced that did air before they yanked it - but I would bet she got something.   The Cupcake Girls has raised over $50,000 that I'm aware of anyway while a woman on their own board told me "I haven't seen them help one single person" last week via email.   The dental care they claim to provide strippers is provided by the United Way.  They're helping strippers who make pretty good money in Vegas from what I'm hearing.  Joy Hoover runs a baker and a hair salon - so she's not losing anything financially off the publicity she gets for the Cupcake Girls.

I was told by the treasurer for Mike Bartell he had made over $3,000,000 in donations from his Nevada fund raiser where she said he went out into the streets, photographed prostitutes street walking, and then got back into the van without even speaking to them.  Maxine Doogan has raised at least $35,000 for her legal fees from what I read.   That's not counting how much she makes as a madam or a mistress.  Ryan Kavanaugh from Relativity Media is wealthy and Tom Forman took his family on a vacation to England and lives in Malibu according to his social media.

In 2007 Melissa Farley offered me a job for $120,000 doing "direct services in Nevada" so I figured I needed to file for a 501c3 nonprofit for our 12 step program to separate them.   I was told she had received a grant from the state department to study Nevada sex trafficking for $50,000 mind you and I got a whole $350.00.

I sat down and did a financial report which allowed me to go over our phone bills and realize we'd taken over 500,000 phone calls back then from 1987 to 2007 (not counting the letters and emails I've answered).  I went over all of our paperwork then and added up I've spent $400,000 of my own money keeping our program running.  That's the phone bills, postage, printing, travel, advertising, etc.  We had taken in donation wise a grand whopping total of $25,000 in book sales and a $10,000 donation we got to buy an outreach car.   For which we spent the full $10,000 on a car as we told the donor we would do.   Meaning as of 2007, we were $365,000 in the red.  Since 2007, I've continued to pay for our mail box, cell phone, postage, printing, etc. out of my own pocket.  I once asked our board members if we could split the monthly bills among us equally to pay and they laughed.

Breaking Free and PRIDE in Minnesota have supposedly run Prostitutes Anonymous meetings for years.  So to did the Mary Magdalene Project which was the subject of a 10 year study in "Leaving Prostitution" by Sharon Oselin.  I have never received one dollar in book orders or donations from either program, nor anyone on their staff personally.

When I met Brenda Myers-Powell in 2007 in person at the press conference, I gave her 20 copies of our Recovery Guide with the red cover, as I gave 20 copies to Kathleen Mitchell also.   We were pricing our books then at $14.95.  Brenda sent me a check for $150 for books in 2009.  I told Brenda I would send her the books when I got a meeting registration form from her as I knew she was going to use them in a meeting setting.  To have books at a meeting setting means I need a registration form.  She refused to send it to me.  She kept calling me begging for the books and I kept asking for the meeting registration form to no avail for some reason.   I finally told Brenda I would apply the $150 to the 20 books I gave her in 2007 if she wasn't going to send me a meeting registration.

I gave her a written copyright release to go to any printer she wished, and run off copies of our book from the .pdf I gave her to work from at her own expense to give to any woman in the Chicago jail program she was working with that wanted a copy of our book free.   I did this because she said "women didn't have books".   I told her I was not budging in that I would not send her the printed red cover books until I got a meeting registration from her for the Chicago group she was running.  She threatened to shut down a Chicago meeting at some Alano center if I didn't send the books.  I repeated I would send her whatever she needed when I got a free meeting registration form signed and returned.  She told me she was shutting down the Chicago meeting now that filming had stopped on her documentary.

I was told in 2009 by the Sunshine Girls they sent Brenda $5000 for running a Prostitutes Anonymous meeting in Chicago.  When I asked them if they were aware she was not the founder, director, nor had a registered meeting of ours even - they ignored all my calls until they changed their foundation name to something else.  I have no idea what she did with the $5000 as she wouldn't discuss it with me.  I was also told by a woman in Indiana that Brenda had tried to charge her $9000 for "consulting on how to set up a Prostitutes Anonymous chapter" in Indianapolis.   I do not know if she received money for the two hour documentary she did with Oprah on the Prostitutes Anonymous group she mentioned throughout the film and they shot her running.   I know I didn't see anything.   I told the woman the truth, Brenda had no legal right to be setting up meetings or outreach or anything in any official capacity for our program because she (1) has no registered meeting with us, and (2) has not worked any PA, or SWA, steps (either/or), that I'm aware of.   She never worked them with me certainly and I'm not aware of any sponsors she's had in PA other than myself.   Anyone else in Chicago would have the same amount of time, or less, than her being I set up the first Chicago meeting she walked into in Genesis House years ago.  Something which the talks shows paid for my travel and I did not charge Genesis House, nor Brenda, for coming up there every few months and mentoring the group she got recovery in.

Kathleen Mitchell has never bought a book from me I'm aware of.  She did register the first meeting of Prostitutes Anonymous with us when she opened Dignity in 1991 which again is free to do so.  I was told by Catholic Charities they canceled that meeting when they took over in 2013.  I sent Kathleen her jail study program for free and have not received any proceeds from the basket that I understood was passed at the Phoenix meeting.  I have not received one dollar from anyone at Catholic Charities, Project Rose, Division 17, CAASE, etc. for them using our program's name in their fund raising, licensing, program design, etc.  I would like to know if Dignity or Catholic Charities would have invested in her, hired her, etc., if not for the Prostitutes Anonymous meetings we gave her freely.  Don't know as she stopped talking to us when she retired after turning it over to Catholic Charities.

Celia Williamson set up a Prostitutes Anonymous meeting in Toledo in 1994 from the papers I found online with Second Chance.  I never received a meeting registration, a book order, nor any donations.  I was not told about this meeting even.  When I confronted her about the money Second Chance received using our name to get her proceeds she countered with "well we dropped that years ago".  That didn't answer my question however about some legal grounds she had to use our name in a grant application for which she received funding.  For 18 years I spoke to Celia about setting up a university level course of study in this topic and was told when she received approval to do so - I would be given a position as a teacher at this course.  She received approval in 2013 I think to teach about human trafficking at the University of Toledo.  Celia offered me a percentage of the income earned off classes I would teach for her in this course.  I asked for a down payment of some kind so I could buy a decent camera to shoot the video for her course which she refused.  She sent me the contract which required my exclusive teaching with her - and nowhere else.  Since I've been teaching counselors, social workers, police, etc., since 1991 I could not see myself giving her an exclusive on my teaching since I also was teaching people like police who had nothing to do with her university course on trafficking.  When I told her I could not give her exclusive to all my teaching income she told me that she would then "view me as a competitor" which meant excluding me from speaking ever at her Prostitution Conference held yearly.   I asked what one had to do with the other and she said "why would I let you come and speak when I can put in one of my teachers and get a piece of that action?"  I said "to provide the best quality training from the widest sources possible for those attending her conference.   Her reply was I either offered my training/teaching through her exclusively or I would not speak at any event she was connected to, organized, or was a part of NOR would I be allowed to lecture, teach, or train at any event any of her other teachers were a part of either as I would be viewed as a "competitor" to her if I did not sign.

I was asked to speak at a Chicago training in 2014 by Dr. Pratina Gupta.  I spent over $1500 preparing to speak at this training, and borrowed another $1000 to pay for my airfare to speak there for free.  The organizers of this event charged $450 from attendees.  Three days before this event, I was told by Dr. Gupta that I was not going to be able to speak, nor invited to attend. When I told her I had invested $1500 in printing of books to sell at this event, and an airplane ticket and hotel for another $1000 that I could not get a refund on considering it was now only 3 days away - she told me "I'll look you up when I'm in Los Angeles and have lunch some time".  Needless to say I told her where to stick her lunch.   Since other speakers were there who teach with Celia - I have to think she made good on her threat about what she'd to to "competitors".   I had over 10 people tell me they had paid this registration fee wanting to hear me speak.  One man had arranged to drive down from Texas.  They were not told I wasn't speaking until after they had arrived and paid their non-refundable registration fee.  The man who drove in from Texas was told he didn't "want to make a stink because he would just harm his own standing within the trafficking community" and to "think about his own grants he was applying for".   So people who started to object about my not coming were having their grants and "reputation" threatened into silence.

So again, please if I'm doing this "for the money" let me know where I'm going wrong here because I'm sure not seeing it.   


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHICAGO POLICE TRAFFICKING 14 YEAR OLDS

SESTA/FOSTA OPPOSITION